1. Before purchasing a product online, find out more about shipping. If you do not find any information about shipping costs, contact the vendor to find out if there are additional charges for shipping. If there are several shipping options, choose an affordable and reliable option to make sure you receive your product quickly.
2. In case you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is absolutely no website that really needs this number for you to make a purchase. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, perhaps you are on a scam website. Leave this site and discover one that has a better reputation.
3. Although it may seem tedious, make sure you read the contract and terms before you purchase with a website. These documents have valuable information about what you can and cannot do when you have a problem with the item that you bought. Read them thoroughly so that you do not have an unwelcome surprise when trying to return items.
4. Always save copies of your orders and receipts from online purchases. Many stores will redirect you to a page after you've submitted your order detailing exactly what was bought, customer information, the prices, etc. You should either print a duplicate of this or save a copy to your computer in case any issues arise before the end of the return period. Be sure to save any emails about your items' status or correspondence with the company regarding your orders, too.
5. A great way to stay safe while shopping online is in order to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from the company, go to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails requesting personal information or account information.