1. If you're purchasing clothes or shoes online, be careful with the sizing. Some items typically run smaller or bigger than normal. Some shopping sites will advertise if an item runs true to size. If the site doesn't list anything about sizing, glance at the reviews. In most cases, if an item is running larger or smaller, the reviewers will let you know.
2. When you are online shopping, make sure that you are merely shopping on secure websites. Look in the website URL and it also should display "https" instead of the usual "http" at the beginning. Usually have an updated copy of anti-virus running on your computer as well. This will ensure that you have a safe online shopping experience.
3. Should you be shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is not any website that requires this number for you to make a purchase. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you are probably on a scam website. Leave this site and find one which has a better reputation.
4. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are more than pleased to complain about bad service online, so look for sites and testimonials that are terrible so you are aware what you're getting into. You need to take bad reviews with a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know you will find a problem.
5. When searching for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as much reviews as is possible. Reading many reviews will allow you to get a more general idea of whether or not the merchandise you are interested in meets high standards of quality.