1. A great way to stay safe when you shop online is to prevent clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from a company, go to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails requesting personal information or account information.
2. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Lots of the big retailers often have promotions running which are not advertised on their home page. Performing a quick look for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
3. Before you start your online shopping, make sure that you've got up-to-date antivirus software. Online shopping is a hotbed for suspect websites. Some individuals build stores with the goal to infect your computer with malware. It's best that you take precautions prior to visiting any stores, no matter how reputable you feel they may be.
4. If you are making a purchase online, ensure that you use credit cards to pay for the transaction. Credit card users are protected against fraud by federal law and are only accountable for $50 in these cases. Some card agencies will even go so far concerning wave the $50 for you, which means that you will not be out of pocket.
5. When shopping online, choose the best shipping policy. Often companies offer expedited shipping. However, often getting the product one day earlier can cost you as much as twice the normal shipping price. Therefore, if you can wait on the product to arrive using normal shipping instead of expedited shipping, choose standard shipping to save money.