1. When you're shopping online you have to be sure you know who you're buying from. If you're buying on an online auction site, only buy from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see if they are a reputable company by looking for reviews to them online.
2. When you are searching for a location to buy a product and not one of the results are most often from familiar retailers, you need to be hesitant about entering your information. Look for security signs from Verisign or Cybertrust, which means you know the retailer is not in the market to take your hard earned money.
3. Never give out your Social Security number with an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and private information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you continue an online store site and see that being a requirement, tend not to buy anything from them and shop somewhere else.
4. Before shopping from a store that is new to you, discover what the store's reputation is like. You can usually do an internet search and discover what others think of the business. It is best to do this so you may not find out the difficult way and lose your money.
5. Sign up for the website's newsletter if they have one. Many times stores will give you a discount or some type of deal whenever you sign up for their newsletter. Determine whether there is a deal associated with subscribing to the newsletter at any store you need to shop at.