1. Before buying from the new online retailer, perform some research on them. Check online reviews from other customers to see how it handles things like customer service, shipping, and its overall buying experience. You can also look at the BBB to see if it has any disputes and whether those disputes were resolved professionally. Try contacting the company via email and phone number, if it's posted to ask questions about its business before you buy anything.
2. Be sure that you're entering your payment details on a secure site. Try to find "https://" in the URL of the site that you're trying to buy something from. If you don't see that or no symbol of any website security, then it's probably a wise idea not to trust those people along with your account information.
3. Be extra careful when you look for shopping deals on social media marketing. Although it's a great way to get announcements regarding sales and coupon-codes, social media accounts can be easily impersonated or even out-right hacked. Get your info on the social networks, then proceed directly to the main site of the store mentioned to wheel and deal.
4. Do more research on the online store you are looking at before ordering a product from their website. If a store does not provide quality service or products, you will probably find some negative reviews published on other sites. It is best to stay with online stores with an excellent reputation.
5. Be wary of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend when you are shopping online. You start to rationalize that you can spend more money for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten should you went to the mall, for example. Give yourself a restriction and stay with it.