1. If you're making an online purchase, don't hesitate to contact customer service if you have a question. By contacting customer service before making your order, you'll discover how helpful customer service is and exactly how quickly they respond. This is useful information to have in case something goes wrong after you've made your purchase.
2. Make sure to read all the information about any product you are considering purchasing. Just looking at a picture online can be deceiving sometimes. It will make a product look bigger or smaller than it is. Make sure to read the description so you know exactly what you are purchasing.
3. Always save copies of your orders and receipts from online purchases. Many stores will redirect one to a page after you've submitted your order detailing everything that was bought, customer information, the prices, etc. You should either print a copy of this or save a copy to your computer in case any issues arise before the end of the return period. Ensure that you save any emails regarding your items' status or correspondence with the company regarding your orders, too.
4. Although it may seem tedious, make sure you read the contract and terms before you purchase at a website. These documents have valuable info on what you can and cannot do when you have a concern with the item that you bought. Read them thoroughly in order that you do not have an unwelcome surprise when trying to come back items.
5. If you're purchasing clothes or shoes online, be careful using the sizing. Some items typically run smaller or larger than normal. Some shopping sites will advertise if an item runs true to size. If the site doesn't list anything about sizing, glance at the reviews. In most cases, if an item is running larger or smaller, the reviewers will let you know.