1. If you are planning to be online shopping, make sure that you do it from a computer connection you already know is secure, like the one which you have in the home. Hackers look for WI-Fi connections in public places if they are scouting for victims, so avoid shopping when using them.
2. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Many of the big retailers often have promotions running which are not advertised on their home page. Doing a quick look for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
3. Be wary of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend if you are shopping online. You start out to rationalize that you can spend more for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten if you went to the mall, for instance. Give yourself a restriction and stay with it.
4. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are more than pleased to complain about bad service online, so try to find sites and testimonials which can be terrible so you know what you're getting into. You should take bad reviews with a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know there exists a problem.
5. When you shop online, make sure that the online store offers secure checkout. This will help protect your own personal information from being stolen. To ensure the site is encrypted search for into your web browser's URL box. The site is secured if the website starts with https. This means hyper transfer protocol secure.