1. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are more than happy to complain about bad service online, so search for sites and testimonials which can be terrible so that you know what you're getting into. You need to take bad reviews having a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know you will find a problem.
2. Spend some time to browse through different online stores to evaluate the products offered. Unless you have your mind set on a specific brand, you ought to take the time to compare different products. Select one with all the features you need and compare prices too. Visit your favorite online stores often since new releases become available on a regular basis.
3. Make it a habit to register for price alerts. This goes even for purchases that you've recently made. Price alerts will let you know when a product has dropped to a price you like. And when you've recently purchased at full price, you can ask for a price adjustment to meet the new deal.
4. If you like an online store, join their email distribution list. You will probably receive some coupons and information about deals within your mailbox. Check these emails regularly to stay up to date with good deals and promotional offers. Most online stores often offer free shipping or discounts on certain products.
5. When shopping online, always try to keep in mind the price of shipping. Many sites offer free shipping on orders over a certain amount. In the event that you do have to pay shipping, make sure that it is going to fit into your budget after you've added everything for your cart. Possessing a full cart only to find out you can not afford the shipping is never a fun experience.