1. Should you be shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is not any website that requires this number for you to buy something. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you may be on a scam website. Leave this site and find one which has a better reputation.
2. While shopping online, be certain the site you are on begins with "https". The "S" implies that the site is secure, which entails that you can safely enter your personal information without having to be worried about identity theft. If a site lacks the "S" in it, you may want to avoid using it.
3. Learn more about the payment methods provided by the online store you are interested in. Most stores provide you with the option to pay with a charge card or with PayPal. A charge card is a safe option as long as the store features a secure server. If you do not see any information regarding safety, it is recommended to go through another store.
4. Before buying a product online, find out more about shipping. If you do not find any details about shipping costs, contact the owner to find out if there are additional charges for shipping. If there are several shipping options, choose an affordable and reliable option to make sure you receive your product quickly.
5. Learn the online store's return policy. Should you be considering making a purchase on an item that you might like to return, make sure to find out if returning the item is an option. Sometimes when you shop online, items cannot be returned and you may not want to be stuck with an unwanted item.