1. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Most of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on the home page. Carrying out a quick search for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
2. To help protect your credit, use only one credit card for online purchases. This will help you quickly track your spending habits when the charge card statement will come in the mail. If you notice any charges that you did not make, call the credit card company immediately and report it to them.
3. While shopping online, you need to be extra careful if you are using your cellphone to purchase online. Using a public Wi-Fi can leave your personal at risk of hackers. Try to only use your secured network when shopping online using a cellphone and never use a public Wi-Fi hot location to shop.
4. Sign-up for any id theft protection your credit card company offers, specifically if you shop online often. No matter how safe you are or how diligently you believe you are able to protect your data, it's never one hundred percent guaranteed. Take full advantage of automatic ID protection and know you will have back-up, should the worst occur.
5. Get familiar with the shipping facts of an online retailer. Their shipping policy should be outlined in a separate section to explain the average time you should get your items, geographic restrictions, shipping choices, possible shipping insurance, and what their shipping and handling fees are. Use this all information to choose if these costs and options fit well for you personally, your budget, and your area prior to placing an order.