1. Before you start your online shopping, ensure that you've got up-to-date antivirus software. Online shopping is a hotbed for suspect websites. Many people build stores with the goal to infect your computer with malware. It's best that you take precautions prior to visiting any stores, no matter how reputable you feel they are.
2. If you think that you will be making a lot of online purchases down the road, consider applying for a separate credit card to use simply for these transactions. It is simpler to track all transactions when they are the only items listed about this card's transaction records. Additionally, you don't need to worry about your own funds being compromised, even temporarily, if you are a victim of fraud.
3. For those who have questions while shopping, choose a live chat function in the online store. Many big brands (and even some boutique stores) now have this functionality. It is possible to chat immediately with a customer support representative to fix any issues or answer any questions prior to buying. That can give you a lot of reassurance.
4. If you find an excellent product on your own favorite site, search for it in the search engines before you buy it. Make note of the model number or brand, and do a quick search to make sure you can't obtain it cheaper from somewhere else. You might be able to save a few dollars that way.
5. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Many of the big retailers often have promotions running which are not advertised on their home page. Performing a quick search for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.