1. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Most of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on the home page. Doing a quick hunt for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
2. Before buying from a new online retailer, do some research on them. Check online reviews from other customers to see the actual way it handles stuff like customer service, shipping, and its overall buying experience. You can also check the BBB to determine if it has any disputes and whether those disputes were resolved professionally. Try contacting the company via email and phone number, if it's posted to ask questions regarding its business before you buy anything.
3. When shopping for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as much reviews as is possible. Reading many reviews can help you get a more general concept of whether or not the item you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
4. Should you be shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is absolutely no website that really needs this number for you to buy something. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you may be on a scam website. Leave this site and find one that includes a better reputation.
5. Be wary of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend if you are shopping online. You start out to rationalize that you can spend more for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten should you went to the mall, for instance. Give yourself a restriction and follow it.