1. Should you be shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is not any website that really needs this number for you to make a purchase. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you are probably on a scam website. Leave this site and locate one which has a better reputation.
2. If you want to buy books online, you'll get a better deal if you get them used. Depending on the condition you receive them in, you may just end up paying a few cents plus shipping. Make sure you read the description of the book to see if you can find any damages you should be aware of.
3. If you're purchasing clothes or shoes online, be careful with all the sizing. Some items typically run smaller or greater than normal. Some shopping sites will advertise if an item runs true to size. If the site doesn't list anything about sizing, glance at the reviews. In most cases, if the item is running larger or smaller, the reviewers will let you know.
4. Many online shopping sites offer discounts if you use a "promotion code". These codes can be found online simply by entering the words "coupon code" along with the manufacturer or name of the website you will be buying from. They might offer a percentage off or free shipping simply by entering in a simple code which can be easily found by investing a few minutes searching for it.
5. For those who have questions while shopping, look for a live chat function in the online store. Many big brands (and even some boutique stores) now have this functionality. You are able to chat immediately with a customer care representative to correct any issues or answer any questions prior to buying. That can present you with a lot of peace of mind.