1. Find out more about the payment methods provided by the online store you are interested in. Most stores give you the option to pay with a charge card or with PayPal. Credit cards is a safe option only when the store includes a secure server. If you do not see any information about safety, it is advisable to go through a different store.
2. When searching for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as much reviews as you can. Reading many reviews can help you get a more general notion of whether or not the merchandise you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
3. When you are creating any purchases online and you are required to make a user account, never use the same passwords that you use on other websites. Do not use your e-mail or banking password to make your account to buy shoes from a web retailer. If somebody was able to see this password, they might have access to more than just your profile on the retailer's store.
4. Make it a habit to sign up for price alerts. It goes even for purchases that you've recently made. Price alerts will let you know when a product has dropped to your price you like. And if you've recently purchased at full price, you can ask for a price adjustment to satisfy the new deal.
5. Look for the right times to shop online. Often the stores that you frequent will have online sales that follow a time pattern. Many, for instance, schedule sales for the beginning of the month or at the end. If you see there's a pattern, hold off on buying anything until the upcoming sales period begins.