1. When you're shopping online you should be sure you are aware who you're buying from. If you're buying upon an online auction site, only buy from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see should they be a reputable company by trying to find reviews upon them online.
2. If you have questions while shopping, search for a live chat function in the online store. Many big brands (and even some boutique stores) now have this functionality. You can chat immediately with a customer care representative to correct any issues or answer any questions before buying. That can present you with a lot of peace of mind.
3. Always save copies of your orders and receipts from online purchases. Many stores will redirect one to a page after you've submitted a purchase detailing exactly what was bought, customer information, the prices, etc. You should either print a duplicate of this or save a duplicate to your computer in case any issues arise before the end of the return period. Be sure to save any emails concerning your items' status or correspondence with the company regarding your orders, too.
4. When you are searching for a spot to buy a product and none of the results are most often from familiar retailers, you should be hesitant about entering your details. Look for security signs from Verisign or Cybertrust, which means you know the retailer is not in the market to take your hard earned money.
5. Before shopping from a store that is unfamiliar with you, discover what the store's reputation is much like. You can usually do an online search and learn what others think of the business. It is best to accomplish this so you may not find out the tough way and lose your hard earned money.