1. Before buying from a new online retailer, perform some research on them. Check online reviews from other customers to see the way it handles things like customer service, shipping, and its overall buying experience. You can also check the BBB to find out if it has any disputes and whether those disputes were resolved professionally. Try contacting the company via email and phone number, if it's posted to ask questions about its business before you buy anything.
2. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are more than happy to complain about bad service online, so try to find sites and testimonials which are terrible so you are aware what you're getting into. You should take bad reviews with a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know you will find a problem.
3. If you're purchasing clothes or shoes online, be careful with the sizing. Some items typically run smaller or greater than normal. Some shopping sites will advertise if an item runs true to size. If the site doesn't list anything about sizing, glance at the reviews. In most cases, if the item is running larger or smaller, the reviewers will let you know.
4. When shopping for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as much reviews as possible. Reading many reviews will allow you to get a more general idea of whether or not the merchandise you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
5. When shopping online, choose the best shipping policy. Many times companies offer expedited shipping. However, many times getting the product one day earlier can cost you as much as twice the normal shipping price. Therefore, if you can wait on the product to arrive using normal shipping instead of expedited shipping, choose standard shipping to save money.