1. When you are searching for a location to buy a specific thing and none of the results seem to be from familiar retailers, you ought to be hesitant about entering your information. Look for security signs from Verisign or Cybertrust, so that you know the retailer is not to take your cash.
2. When shopping for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as many reviews as possible. Reading many reviews will help you get a more general notion of whether or not the product you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
3. A great way to stay safe when shopping online is in order to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email coming from a company, proceed to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails requesting personal information or account information.
4. If you are planning to be shopping online, make sure that you practice it from a computer connection you understand is secure, like the one that you have at home. Hackers search for WI-Fi connections in public places when they are scouting for victims, so avoid shopping when using them.
5. If you're making an online purchase, don't hesitate to contact customer service if you have a question. By contacting customer service before making your order, you'll discover how helpful customer care is and how quickly they respond. This is useful information to have in the event that something goes wrong after you've made your purchase.