1. If you like an online store, subscribe to their email distribution list. You will probably receive some coupons and information about deals in your mailbox. Check these emails regularly to keep up to date with great deals and promotional offers. Most online stores often offer free shipping or discounts on certain products.
2. If you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is not any website that requires this number for you to make a purchase. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you are probably on a scam website. Leave this site and find one which has a better reputation.
3. When you are searching for a place to buy a product and no results seem to be from familiar retailers, you should be hesitant about entering your data. Look for security signs from Verisign or Cybertrust, so that you know the retailer is not out to take your hard earned money.
4. A great way to stay safe while shopping online is to prevent clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email coming from a company, visit the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails asking for personal information or account information.
5. If you are intending to be online shopping, make sure that you practice it from a computer connection you understand is secure, like the one that you have in the home. Hackers look for WI-Fi connections in public places while they are scouting for victims, so avoid shopping when using them.