1. Before buying coming from a new online retailer, do your homework on them. Check online reviews from other customers to see how it handles items like customer service, shipping, and its overall buying experience. You can also check the BBB to determine if it has any disputes and whether those disputes were resolved professionally. Try contacting the company via email and phone number, if it's posted to ask questions about its business before you buy anything.
2. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are delighted to complain about bad service online, so try to find sites and testimonials which can be terrible so you are aware what you're getting into. You need to take bad reviews with a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know there is a problem.
3. Be wary of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend when you are shopping online. You begin to rationalize that you can spend more for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten should you went to the mall, for example. Give yourself a limit and follow it.
4. When you're shopping online you need to be sure that you know who you're buying from. If you're buying upon an online auction site, only order from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see when they are a reputable company by searching for reviews upon them online.
5. Make sure that when you make a purchase online, you are aware of in the event the site is secure or not. You may not want your information being compromised in this day and age. Identity theft is fairly common, and also you must protect your information at all cost so that you will wish to keep making purchases online.