1. Never give out your Social Security number for an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and personal information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you carry on an online store site and see that as being a requirement, usually do not buy everything from them and shop someplace else.
2. Be careful when it comes to the online stores that you consider buying from. If the web store is poorly designed, packed with misspellings, and overall fishy, you should take your money elsewhere. These are signs that something might not be right about this store. It's preferable to be safe than sorry.
3. To help protect your credit, use only one credit card for online purchases. This will help you quickly track your spending habits when the charge card statement comes in the mail. If you notice any charges which you did not make, call the credit card company immediately and report it to them.
4. If you're making an online purchase, don't hesitate to contact customer service if you have a question. By contacting customer service prior to making your order, you'll learn how helpful customer service is and how quickly they respond. This can be useful information to have in the event that something goes wrong after you've made your purchase.
5. Talk to your friends regarding their favorite online shops. There are millions of sites out there, and there is no way you can find them all yourself. Talk to the people you know to find out who the reputable online retailers are, and where they like to shop. This can help you save a lot of time and energy.