1. Be skeptical of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend when you find yourself shopping online. You start to rationalize that you can spend more money for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten should you went to the mall, for example. Give yourself a limit and follow it.
2. When you are making a purchase online, make sure that you use credit cards to pay for the transaction. Credit card users are protected against fraud by federal law and they are only accountable for $50 in these cases. Some card agencies will even go so far as to wave the $50 for you, which means that you will not be out of pocket.
3. Shopping online is a great way to save money since you can look around so easily. If you're looking to save as much money as possible, remember to check out any deals that the online store may offer. Most stores offer some from of sale or deal frequently, which means you should be able to find a great deal that will help you save a lot more money.
4. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Most of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on their own home page. Doing a quick hunt for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
5. Do not spend too much money on shipping. Shipping charges can actually add up. Many sites offer free shipping, free freight once you spend a certain amount, or use a coupon code that allows you to get free freight. Instead of paying your cash on shipping, look for a store that ships for free.