1. If you like a web-based store, join their email distribution list. You will probably receive some coupons and information about deals inside your mailbox. Check these emails regularly to remain up to date with good deals and promotional offers. Most online stores often offer free delivery or discounts on certain products.
2. When you're shopping online you should be sure you know who you're buying from. If you're buying with an online auction site, only order from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see if they are a reputable company by trying to find reviews upon them online.
3. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are more than pleased to complain about bad service online, so search for sites and testimonials that are terrible so you are aware what you're getting into. You need to take bad reviews having a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know you will find a problem.
4. If you want to buy books online, you'll get a better deal if you get them used. Dependant upon the condition you obtain them in, you may just end up paying a few cents plus shipping. Make sure you go through the description of the book to see if you will find any damages you should be aware of.
5. To protect yourself use a credit card when you shop online. The government has passed laws to protect consumers in the event of fraud. The amount the buyer is responsible for is really a mere $50.00 as compared to atm cards where the entire balance may be withdrawn by internet hackers.