1. Get engaged in the social media of your favorite online retailers. Brands with big online presences typically put lots of money behind their social media, and this includes offering their followers some mega-discounts and exclusive deals. You may be one of the lucky ones scoring these works with just a quick follow or fanning.
2. Read customer testimonials before you buy anything. People are more than pleased to complain about bad service online, so look for sites and testimonials that are terrible so you know what you're getting into. You need to take bad reviews with a grain of salt, but if you see many, you know there exists a problem.
3. To help protect your credit, use only one credit card for online purchases. This will help you quickly track your spending habits when the credit card statement is available in the mail. If you notice any charges that you did not make, call the credit card company immediately and report it to them.
4. A great way to stay safe while shopping online is to avoid clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email coming from a company, visit the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails requesting personal information or account information.
5. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Many of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on their own home page. Performing a quick look for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.