1. Should you be shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is absolutely no website that really needs this number for you to make a purchase. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, perhaps you are on a scam website. Leave this site and find one that has a better reputation.
2. When you are making any purchases online and you are required to make a user account, never make use of the same passwords that you use on other websites. Do not make use of e-mail or banking password to make an account to buy shoes from a web retailer. If somebody was able to see this password, they might have access to more than just your profile on the retailer's store.
3. Make sure to read all the information about any product you are considering purchasing. Just looking in a picture online can be deceiving sometimes. It will make a product look bigger or smaller than. Make sure to read the description which means you know exactly what you are purchasing.
4. Before buying from the new online retailer, do your homework on them. Check online reviews from other customers to see how it handles things like customer service, shipping, and its overall buying experience. You can also check the BBB to find out if it has any disputes and whether those disputes were resolved professionally. Try contacting the company via email and phone number, if it's posted to ask questions about its business before you buy anything.
5. If you have questions while shopping, look for a live chat function on the online store. Many big brands (and even some boutique stores) now have this functionality. You can chat immediately with a customer service representative to repair any issues or answer any questions before buying. That can present you with a lot of peace of mind.