1. When you are searching for a location to buy a specific thing and no results appear to be from familiar retailers, you need to be hesitant about entering your details. Look for security signs from Verisign or Cybertrust, which means you know the retailer is not out to take your money.
2. Before buying coming from a new online retailer, do some research on them. Check online reviews from other customers to see the actual way it handles stuff like customer service, shipping, and its overall buying experience. You can also look into the BBB to find out if it has any disputes and whether those disputes were resolved professionally. Try contacting the company via email and phone number, if it's posted to ask questions regarding its business before you buy anything.
3. When searching for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as many reviews as you can. Reading many reviews will allow you to get a more general idea of whether or not the merchandise you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
4. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Lots of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on their own home page. Doing a quick search for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
5. To guard yourself use a credit card when shopping online. The government has passed laws to protect consumers in the event of fraud. The amount the buyer is responsible for is actually a mere $50.00 as compared to debit cards where the entire balance could be withdrawn by internet hackers.