1. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Many of the big retailers often have promotions running which are not advertised on their home page. Doing a quick hunt for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
2. Be careful which sites you patronize. It is difficult to find out which are around the up and up and that are not, but there are a few clues. If the address does not make sense or the design seems off, go to a different site. Furthermore, if a lot of pop-up windows begin appearing, close them out and move on.
3. Make it a habit to sign up for price alerts. It goes even for purchases that you've recently made. Price alerts will let you know each time a product has dropped to your price you prefer. And if you've recently purchased at full price, it is possible to ask for a price adjustment to meet the new deal.
4. Know about the dangers of shopping online along with your mobile device. Although it's convenient for a number of reasons, it does put your personal information at an elevated risk for eavesdropping. Public wi-fi and abbreviated URLs are much better to get around than conventional computing from home, so save your shopping fix for the safest conditions.
5. In case you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is absolutely no website that needs this number for you to buy something. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, you are probably on a scam website. Leave this site and locate one that has a better reputation.