1. Although it might appear tedious, be sure you read the contract and terms before you purchase at a website. These documents have valuable info on what you can and cannot do when you have a problem with the item that you bought. Read them thoroughly in order that you do not have an unwelcome surprise when trying to come back items.
2. When you are shopping online, you should only shop at reputable stores. If the store does not have a strong reputation, you may be requesting trouble. Many people have had their credit card and personal information stolen from shopping on under reputable websites. Be careful and protect your private information.
3. Before shopping from a store that is unfamiliar with you, find out what the store's reputation is like. You can usually do an internet search and find out what others think of the business. It is best to do this so you do not find out the difficult way and lose your money.
4. Be careful in regard to the online stores that you consider buying from. If the online store is poorly designed, filled with misspellings, and overall fishy, you should take your money elsewhere. These are signs that something might not be right about this store. It's preferable to be safe than sorry.
5. A great way to stay safe while shopping online is to prevent clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email coming from a company, go to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails seeking personal information or account information.