1. In case you have questions while shopping, look for a live chat function in the online store. Many big brands (and even some boutique stores) now have this functionality. It is possible to chat immediately with a customer care representative to repair any issues or answer any questions before buying. That can present you with a lot of reassurance.
2. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Lots of the big retailers often have promotions running which are not advertised on their home page. Doing a quick search for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
3. A great way to stay safe when you shop online is to prevent clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from the company, visit the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails requesting personal information or account information.
4. Be wary of any emails you obtain, even if they appear to be coming from a retailer you trust. Never click on a link that directs you to a web site other than the one you shopped on. Should you do, you may become vulnerable to a scam. Rather than simply clicking on an email hyperlink, just go up to your browser and enter in the web site you want to go to. It really is much safer that way.
5. Be skeptical of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend when you find yourself shopping online. You start to rationalize that you can spend more money for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten should you went to the mall, for instance. Give yourself a restriction and stay with it.