1. When you're shopping online you have to be sure that you know who you're buying from. If you're buying with an online auction site, only purchase from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see if they are a reputable company by looking for reviews to them online.
2. Be wary of the emails you get, even if they appear to be coming from a retailer you trust. Never click on a hyperlink that directs you to a web site other than the main one you shopped on. Should you, you may become vulnerable to a gimmick. Rather than simply clicking on an email hyperlink, just go as much as your browser and enter the web site you would like to go to. It is actually much safer that way.
3. Online shopping is a great way to find items that are out of stock at your local store. For instance, if you are unable to find a certain size of jeans at the store in your area, you can look on the store's website and learn if they are available to be shipped to you.
4. Always look for coupon codes when shopping on the web. Many online retailers give out discounts for various things and you can find them by performing a simple search. Just enter the name of the store and coupon and you may find a great discount. This can be a great way to cut costs when you shop online.
5. A great way to stay safe when shopping online is to prevent clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email from the company, proceed to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails requesting personal information or account information.